Therma wha? Therma who?

So after meeting with my kitchen planner on Wednesday, I came away with mixed emotions... on the one hand, it was so much fun to pick out everything and see my kitchen actually laid out and on paper. I had drafted a floor plan, but to see elevations and perspective drawings of my house... that was awesome. But at the same time, the price was terrifying. My original quote was thrown out the window because I decided to add additional cabinets. I started dreaming big, which is never a good combination with a tiny budget. However, it was a necessary change, seeing as even a novice chef such as myself cannot work with virtually no counter space and three cabinets.

Now in an ideal world, I would have solid mahogany cabinets with premium granite counter tops and drawers pulls of solid gold. However, I am working on a budget and determined to keep it down. Because I am planning on staying in this home for 5-7 years, I want to use materials that will last and still look nice when I put the house back on the market. But I also need to consider the buyer--people looking in my neighborhood will most likely be single or young couples who are also staying on a budget. While extras like a super-nice kitchen would be cool, it is not something they are willing to pay an extra $10,000 for.

In comes Thermafoil. This synthetic material has a smooth coat and is significantly cheaper than solid wood cabinets... and is easier to maintain. They are more difficult to paint however, so be sure to choose a neutral color. While I personally prefer darker finishes on cabinets, I had to take into account that I am keeping the majority of my appliances and they are white... so I went with white. I like white, and it works with everything from my Tuscan-inspired design plan to some other person's country bumpkin Walmart border.

So while cheaper alternatives such as Thermafoil or (gasp!) laminate floors or counter tops may seem like a disappointment, take them into consideration before completely blowing them off. While they may not be as durable as the quality stuff, they will still look nice and most likely last long enough for you and the next few owners of your home to enjoy them!





0 comments: