Tearing Down to Build Up

I think I scared a few of my friends the other day when I sent them messages saying, "There's a hole in my floor!" What I didn't clarify is that there was supposed to be a hole in my floor... it was all part of the demolition (but thanks to the friends who offered condolences and/or places to stay).

Demolition is the important first step in any construction process. Not only are you getting rid of all the stuff you don't need (like a roof), you are also getting an intimate look into the internal structure of your home.

If you aren't using a contractor, make sure to check out what sort of permits you need to do your renovations. Most contractors will take care of this for you, but be sure you spell it out before you begin the project. If you are getting your own permits, check not only with the neighborhood "city" in which your property is located, but also the metro area, or your actual city.

Demolition involves dumpsters... it is just one of those unfortunate facts of life. And as useful as dumpsters are, they are not exactly the prettiest things in the world. So if your home is within sight of your neighbors, which it most likely is, make sure they know what is going on and that you are aware of the inconvenience to them. I made cookies to take to my neighbors and introduce myself since they don't really know me. Unfortunately, after my strenuous labor breaking and baking, neither of them were home and my sister ate all the cookies. Whatever, next time I was around, I introduced myself and took my card to them. Let them know you are sympathetic and that they can call anytime if there is a problem. Not only will they feel better that you are not the new loud neighbor, you now also have someone who is keeping an eye on things when you are not there. Win win.

While your walls are open, check on the insulation situation. My house was built in 1948, and apparently energy efficiency wasn't a top priority in post-war Louisville. However, while the walls are open, I can choose to add insulation and get a tax credit: 30% of the cost up to $1500. Still not sure if I can afford to do it right now, but it will also save me when it comes to heat bills next winter. Good to know.

Just a few things to ponder while you are tearing down walls! So grab a sledgehammer and go!

0 comments: