Spinnin' the Vinyl

With the addition going on the back of my house, I recently had to choose a type of siding for my exterior. While brick, wood, and/or stucco options are usually preferable, they are also the most expensive. Additionally, the material most commonly known by its brand name, HardiPlank, is also more costly than other options (though it does have a longer lifespan and increased durability).

When choosing an option for siding, the most important factors include neighboring homes, climate, durability, cost, and maintenance.

My first consideration was neighboring houses. In all honesty, the other homes in my neighborhood primarily have used aluminum or vinyl siding. While HardiPlank (also known as fiber cement siding) might be preferable in the long run, you also don't want to price your home out of the neighborhood. The increased cost may be worth it to you, but will it be worth it to the next homeowner? In my situation, probably not. My neighborhood has turned, for the most part, into starter home for singles and couples before they actually start their families. Odds are, the person who buys my house after me will be looking at the price for the bottom line, not the lifespan of the exterior materials, because they will not actually be living in the home long enough to have to replace anything.

So with that in mind, I narrowed my choices to aluminum and vinyl. Both give the appearance of wood plank siding without the care required to protect wood from home invaders, such as those pesky little guys called termites. The climate in Louisville is mild enough to not have to worry about hurricane-force winds, which have a tendency to rip off siding. Ever noticed how many homes in Florida have a stucco finish? Not a coincidence.

The major difference between aluminum and vinyl siding is the durability. Aluminum is susceptible to dents and scrapes (imagine a Coke can). Vinyl tends to fade after about 10 years. Aluminum siding is difficult to paint, though not impossible, which can become a problem if you choose a bright pink house. Vinyl options usually have a wood grain imprint, which can add a nice feel to the home. Unfortunately, some studies suggest the production of vinyl has been harmful to the environment in the past. Be sure to check into the manufacturer of the material to make sure you can choose vinyl with a clear conscience.

I think you can probably tell what material I went with (like the title didn't totally blow my cover). I looked into the environmental concerns (because I love the polar bears) and determined that I could feel good about using the material. Additionally, the idea of not having to worry as much about the look, maintenance, and durability pretty much sold me.

While vinyl is not definitively the best choice for everyone, it is the best choice for me. Explore your options and see what happens. Until then, I will enjoy my wheat vinyl siding with a happy heart!

0 comments: