An Ode to Ian

OK so the picture is not actually of the guy at my Home Depot, but Steve over here looks pretty rockin' with his 'stache. No, my new best friend is Ian, the guy who works behind the paint counter at my local Home Depot. Little did he know when I wandered into his corner of the store that rainy day, we would soon be best friends.

Yeah, well that is a little creepy, but I did just want to stress how great the guys and gals at the HD are. I wandered in, having done my research, with a list... and was promptly overwhelmed. Yes I need a sanding block, but what the hell is that? And how do I attach the sandpaper?


Needless to say, Ian was there for me.

"Ian, do I need a fancy extender or is the $3 one OK?"

"Ian, this paint can is dented... is that bad?"

"Ian, I can't decide... eggshell or flat finish?!?!?"

He answered all my questions patiently, and did the same when I came back the next day. He also explained the complicated rebate system so I could get $5 off every gallon of paint I bought. We also bonded over my Georgia shirt... though I don't think he thought it was as magical a connection as I did.

OK so if this kid ever Googles himself he is probably going to be creeped out, because obviously I am over-exaggerating the bond we shared. But I was extremely pleased with how helpful he was--and willing to deal with my neurosis. Few men have ever measured up to that particular task.

So today, I salute you, Home Depot guy Ian. Without you, I might have gone for the 5-gallon tub of primer and died after it rolled on top of me in the parking lot. I owe ya one, buddy.

2 comments:

^Echelon said...

We love you Ian!

Unknown said...

bahahhaha, best post ever! way to go Ian! side note: the dudes at Lowes are equally as helpful. I bought blinds for my bedroom and wasn't paying attention and got the wrong width, i went back to have them cut and as I walked in, some guy looks at me and says "Welcome to Lowes, do you need those cut?" I was convinced he read my mind... it was awesome! He also gave me tips on how to put the blinds up... in "girl terms" too. So I agree the guys at HD and Lowes LOVE their jobs... even if it includes helping you and I lol!