Walkin' on the Ceiling

Indecisiveness is becoming a regular part of my day. Before, my contractor was in charge of the major decisions. I know nothing about how to actually frame an addition; he was calling the shots as far as construction and I was A-OK with that. Now, we are starting the finishing touches. The stuff I actually know something about. I have an opinion when it comes to handrails and carpet and colors of stain.

I am doing all my own painting (with the help of the most awesome friends in the entire world). This includes painting the ceilings on my second floor where there is new construction. And I am completely torn. This is partly a cry for help... I need a great ceiling color!

The first option is a traditional white. And there is nothing wrong with traditional. It is a classic for a reason. But do I really want to play that game? Or do something a little more fun?

If I had my faux beams that I so desperately want, I would do darker tones of the rooms on the ceilings. With the beams, it would give the room a lofty look. However, without something to break it up, the darker color will become too claustrophobic.

That leaves us with a lighter shade, either in the same family as the wall color or in a complimentary shade. My bedroom is a lilac/gray heather so I thought I might try a creamy yellow ceiling, slightly muted. However, after purchasing Navajo White from Ian at the Home Depot, I realized it was entirely too close to my ecru carpet. CRISIS!

So now that my walk-in closet has a beautiful coat of Navajo White, I am back to the ceiling drawing board. My mom suggested painting it white, since I could always change it. Yeah right mom, I am not painting my ceiling over with a new color after my carpet and furniture is in there. So I am thinking gray, but I need feedback! Where is my color theory professor when I need him?

0 comments: