Lions and Tigers and BEHR... oh my!

As I am hanging out bored on a Friday night (sittin' on babies... not just a huge loser), the craziness of this day is hitting me. I mean, theoretically, I bought a HOUSE today. Like a real house that you live in. As in I am going to be living there for years of my life. Obviously, I have been searching for about three months, so I know this is the right choice. Joanne (realtor) called to counsel me today-- she said that, undoubtedly, I will begin to freak out in the next day or two. Amazingly, I am not so much freaking out about the price. Obviously, it is a lot of money, but I think it is a good investment. I am more freaking out about the permanence.

I moved back to Louisville a year ago (to the day as of tomorrow!) for a plethora of reasons. I was living in South Carolina and had quit my job with a non-profit arts organization. I gave myself until the end of the summer to find something else in Greenville; obviously, I did not. In addition, my dad has been going through treatments for colon cancer. Basically, it just seems like a good time to be near my family here in Louisville, Kentucky. But that doesn't stop me from somewhat freaking out about being 'tied down' to a property. I've never thought of myself as a 'rolling stone' but maybe I am?

How am I talking myself off the ledge? Oh, I don't know, maybe... PAINT COLORS? Yes please!

Everyone knows that paint is the easiest and cheapest way update a home. I have seen so many heinous paint colors in houses, and sometimes it is difficult to see past lime green or periwinkle. But once you do... holy crap. Slap up some pale sage green or maybe a warm terracotta or a golden yellow, and there you go. I painted my first apartment my senior year of college, and while I wouldn't choose 'cheery pink' for a bathroom ever again, it did make my cookie cutter apartment feel a little more individual. 

As far as choosing paint colors, I have no higher recommendation than Behr Paints' website. I used Behr paint when I painted before (it worked well for me, but I only lived with it for a year and don't really know much about what makes a paint 'good'), and spent hourssssss playing with their website. Not only can you carefully tweak the color you are choosing by going lighter, darker, or more saturated, you can then coordinate your colors and then preview them in the room of your choice. Supposedly, you can upload a photo of your own room, but I haven't tried that yet.

So basically, I put the kids to bed and have now been camped out watching HGTV and deciding if I really want a lilac bedroom... decisions decisions.

0 comments: