bLOG

So I like to call my personal style 'organized chaos.' When it comes to paperwork, I inherited my mother's OCD gene. Unfortunately, as a general rule, I am not the neatest person in the entire world. My records, however, are pretty perfect.

A filing system is a whole other story (which we will get to eventually), but first I need to impart the necessity of keeping a home log. It is tedious, yes, but it will undoubtedly help you in the future, especially when you go to sell your home.

I am not talking anything too fancy. All you need is a Word document on your computer that you add to whenever you do some sort of significant work on your home. I started mine today when I had the water and electricity switched to my name. I entered a note in my log under September 2009 saying when service was switched, mentioned any deposits paid, pertinent phone numbers, and account numbers. Now, when I go to cancel my service in a few years, I will have those notes so I remember the important things.

These notes will also help when you sell your home. The more information you give a buyer, the better. If you can hand them a record of any problems or fixes you have done in the time you have been in the home, they will trust you a lot more, which will eventually lead to a better price for you the seller.


Example entry:

October 2009
Garage treated for termites by Bubba's Bug Killers (502-555-1234) for $185. Retreating recommended every twelve months ($45). No significant damage found; some past evidence of termite presence. Treatment prevents infestation.

Simple. Takes about two minutes. Saves you a huge headache. Great all around. Enjoy your record keeping!

1 comments:

Molly said...

I love this idea and I just told Chris he needed to put to use! Keep up the good work, smarty.