Shades of Gray

I have been incredibly behind on my blogging and I feel like a failure! I tried to update with a Stuff I Like This Week yesterday and was unable to due to technical difficulties... I felt like crying. So we are going to have to hold off on that one for a few days and just have fun discussing other decorating tips. Rough.

As I mentioned before, I am staying with my friend Molly who just had her apartment redecorated. A few months ago, she called me freaking out because the designer had sent her the paint samples... and wanted to paint her living room gray. It sounds bland and non-traditional, and even a little morose, but trust me--as a wall color, it acts as a soft and beautiful neutral to play against your art or textiles.

Gray is surprisingly versatile. It will undoubtedly have undertones of blue, green, or even lavender, and you can use those subtle hints to play up some of your accent colors. The gray in Molly's apartment has a blue undertone that compliments her blue and brown window treatments and plays up her art and throw pillows.

Additionally, this designer used the same gray as a ceiling color in Molly's bedroom and it came out beautifully... but more on non-traditional ceiling colors at another time. Until then, if you are picking out paint colors, don't discount gray--it may be the perfect compliment for your space.

0 comments: