Swingin' from the Chandelier

Finally! It feels so good to be back and in a routine, even if it is a very busy one! I am so disappointed in myself for the dearth of posts recently... my most sincere apologies. The trip to Greenville, while fun and relaxing, was not very conducive towards blog writing. And yesterday, upon my return, I was just going all day. We all know how it is.

Anyway, yesterday I returned to work in full force, cleaning up little messes I had left when I left last week. The interior design office is an amazing place to work, and I am so grateful for all I am learning there.

Today, I went with the owner/president and our director of renovations and operations on a house call. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a service we provide throughout the design process.

After bee-boppin' through town in the owner's Jag, we arrived to find our client very upset about this heinous chandelier she had insisted upon. We all hated it on principle (it was ugly); she hated it because it was not ugly enough. She wanted it bigger. Monstrous.

So, here is the rule of thumb I learned regarding chandeliers. Size is very important, and bigger is not always better. When determining the appropriate diameter of your chandelier, take the length and width of the room (in feet) and add them. From this number, subtract 8. The resulting number is the length, in inches, of your perfect chandelier.

For instance, if I was choosing a chandelier for my 15x17' dining room, I would do:

15 + 17 = 32 32 - 8 = 24

The appropriate size chandelier for my dining room would be 24 inches, or two feet, in diameter.

A quick hint to get you through the day... and a big ol' welcome back to me!

0 comments: